Understanding Short-Term Care Insurance
You may not know what type of care you'll need as you age, but when you incorporate AARP® Short-Term Care Insurance from Medico® into your future care plan, you'll have options to meet your needs.
Complete your coverage
Selecting your benefits
Are you wondering what benefit levels are right for you? Use the Benefit Selection Tool to help you make informed decisions.Use Benefit Selection Tool
Knowing when care is needed
Every situation is different. That’s why it’s important to talk with your doctor or other licensed healthcare practitioner to determine the level of care you need. To qualify to receive benefits through AARP Short-Term Care Insurance from Medico, you’ll need a statement from a board-certified physician acknowledging you no longer have functional capacity in two or more of the following Activities of Daily Living.
|Activity of Daily Living||Definition|
Request more information
Get information about AARP Short-Term Care Insurance from Medico sent to you via mail or email.Request a Product Guide
Plans available from
--- / month
Rate quotes are for illustrative purposes only and are not guaranteed. This quote is not an offer or contract. Medico reserves the right to adjust quoted rates based on information provided by the application, the underwriting process, applicant interviews, or to correct any errors on the quotation. Any coverage is effective only after approved by Medico, and only after premium has been received. All plan provisions apply. If an applicant’s age increases after the quote is submitted and the coverage is not yet approved by Medico, the premium will be adjusted to reflect the new age in the rates.
Learn More About Short-Term Care Insurance
Who Needs Short-Term Care Insurance
Seventy percent of people turning age 65 will need some sort of assisted care in the future. Short-Term Care insurance provides financial protection and can help ease the transition into receiving ongoing care services.Learn More
How Short-Term Care Insurance Can Help Protect You and Your Family
Short-Term Care insurance is an ideal option to help you plan for a long-term care scenario. As a supplemental policy, it can help fill in the gaps in your health insurance coverage, protecting you and your family from unexpected care costs.Learn More
Make AARP Short-Term Care Insurance from Medico a part of your future care plan.
Exclusions and limitations (may vary by state)
No benefits will be paid for any expense not identified and included as a covered loss under the policy. You will be fully responsible for payment of any expense that is not a covered loss. We will not pay benefits for:
- Any loss that occurs while this policy is not in force.
- Services or supplies not covered under this policy or not included in your plan of care.
- Treatment of complications of a non-covered loss.
- Any treatment for loss that:
- Is not medically necessary.
- Is not prescribed by a physician as necessary to treat a sickness or injury.
- Is determined to be experimental or investigational.
- Is received without charge or legal obligation to pay.
- Would not routinely be paid in the absence of insurance.
- Is received from any family member.
- Any suicide attempt, while sane or insane, or any intentionally self-inflicted injury.
- Alcoholism, drug addiction, or their complications, unless addiction resulted from narcotics prescribed by a physician.
- Injuries received or caused directly or indirectly while under the influence of a controlled substance, unless prescribed by a physician, or by intoxication as defined by the laws and jurisdiction of the geographic area in which the loss or cause of loss was incurred.
- Loss to which a contributing cause was your commission of or attempt to commit a felony or being engaged in an illegal occupation.
- Loss that occurs outside the territorial limits of the United States.
- Any loss resulting from war, declared or undeclared, or actively serving in the armed forces or their auxiliary units, including any country’s National Guard or Army Reserve or their equivalent.
- Any loss resulting from any device for aerial navigation, except as a fare-paying passenger.
STCI-008 Rev. 05/20